A water jet cutter, also known as a water jet or waterjet, is an industrial tool capable of cutting a wide variety of materials using a very high-pressure jet of water, or a mixture of water and anabrasive substance. The term abrasivejet refers specifically to the use of a mixture of water and abrasive to cut hard materials such as metal or granite, while the terms pure waterjet and water-only cutting refer to waterjet cutting without the use of added abrasives, often used for softer materials such as wood or rubber. Waterjet cutting is often used during fabrication of machine parts. It is the preferred method when the materials being cut are sensitive to the high temperatures generated by other methods.
Among the many advantages are the following:
- No heat-affected zone, no hardening;
- small mechanical load on the material, which facilitates processing of complex parts, especially thin-walled;
- no allocation of dust, smoke and toxic fumes;
- there is no need for a wide range of tools and his sharpening;
- loss of material when cutting minimum;
- no need for deburring;
- no need for reprocessing of high surface quality;
- total absence of damage near the edges of spaced holes (thickness bridge between the two holes may be 0.5mm or even less).
With waterjet cutting machine can cut almost all materials:
- stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, copper, tin
- glass, marble, granite, ceramic, composite sheet material
- plaster, paper, cardboard, plywood, glass wool, rock wool, leather, rubber
- composite materials, foam, decorative material for flooring, packaging material